Wednesday, 31 October 2012


A security guard attached to Saracen Company has this afternoon fled away with about one hundred forty million shillings after seizing it from a coffee dealer at gunpoint in Barclays Bank in Kasese municipality.
The OC CID Kasese central Police Godwin Tugumye confirmed the incident saying forty million shillings from the guard who had taken one hundred eighty million shillings from the coffee trader.
He identified the guard as Lawrence Tumwesigwa that was providing security at the bank.
He said that two suspects have been arrested to help in investigations as police mounted a hunt for the guard who had escaped on a motorcycle boda boda.
He declined to disclose the identities of the two suspects in police custody and the coffee dealer for investigative reasons.
According to the Tugumye, the thug dropped forty million shillings, which a another guard at the Post Bank, a few meters from Barclays bank recovered and handed over to Barclays bank.
Eyewitnesses said that as the guard thug fled, started splashing some of the looted money to the people who were chasing after him on foot and on boda boda motorcycles.
The thug reportedly grabbed some of the money at one of the counters, stormed out of the bank and fled towards Nyakasanga, a Kasese town suburb.

Tuesday, 16 October 2012


President Yoweri Museveni has cleared Maj. Martin Kamya to resign from the army and be crowned as cultural leader of the Bamba in Bundibugyo District.
Mr Museveni last week met members of the Obudhingya Bwa Bwamba (OBB) cultural institution and Bundibugyo Elders Development Association (BEDA) at State House, Entebbe.
Mr Swizen Kyomuhendo, the spokesperson of OBB said on Monday that President Museveni told members that he has no objection to Maj. Kamya being installed as the Bamba cultural leader.
Mr Tamale Mirundi, the President’s press secretary confirmed the meeting between his boss and members of OBB members. He however, did not divulge what was discussed in the meeting.
In August, during a council of BEDA, Maj. Kamya was elected as the cultural leader of the Bamba. Maj. Kamya is the eldest son of the late Jeremiah Kawamara, one of the founders of the Rwenzururu movement.
BEDA then wrote to President Museveni and the leadership of UPDF, requesting them to allow Maj. Kamya resign from the army in order to serve his subjects. Mr Kyomuhenda said Mr Museveni assured the meeting that Maj. Kamya would be cleared to quit the army once the Bamba are ready to crown him king.
According to Mr Kyomuhendo, the cultural institution has embarked on drafting the constitution of the cultural institution, composing the anthem and developing an emblem, which symbols have to be ready before Maj. Kamya’s coronation in February next year.
Rwenzururu Kingdom spokesperson, Mr Patrick Nyamuhungu said that the Bamba are free to elect a cultural leader as long as he does not impose the institution on the Bakonzo, who live in Bundibugyo.


Friday, 5 October 2012


About thirty five heads of cattle have been cut in yet a fight that erupted Thursday night between pastoralists and cattle keepers in Kabukero village in Karusandara sub-county Kasese district.
The fight was caused by the death of a 17 year old boy who is alleged to have been murdered by pastoralists in the area after they found him cutting pieces of trees in their grazing land.
Brian Mumbere son of Johnson Byabusa is said to have gone in the grazing land to look for pieces of trees to build his own house.
The Bakonzo cultivators then raided the homes of the pastoralists in retaliation over the boy’s death.
Yesterday the district veteran officer Dr. Godfrey Kalule went to the area to ascertain the extend at which the cattle was cut.
He said that out of the thirty five heads of cattle he managed to come across twenty eight would survive after treatment, one had died and six were recommended for slaughter because they could not heal.
One of the pastoralists who identified himself only as Muharabu said that he had handed over four tails of cattle to police which had since disappeared.
He said that about eight others in addition to those whose tails were cut are still missing and he believed they may have been stolen by cultivators who attacked them yesterday evening.
It’s alleged that more than fifty Bakonzo cultivators attacked the grazing area cutting the cattle they found there after they realized that their colleague had been killed.
One of the survivors of the attack John Tunomujuni said that the attack happened at about 6.00pm.
He said a house belonging to Kagoro Mutawasi was also destroyed after the deceased body was found near his house.
Both cultivators and cattle keepers have claimed ownership of Kabukero grazing land.
Early this year farmers woke up one morning and found all their crops planted in the area had been uprooted


Two men calling themselves Concerned Residents of Kasese are intending to sue the district council for not following the right procedure in 2010 when passing a resolution to split the district into three that include Rwenzori, Bwera and Kasese.
Lucas Bwambale Buhaka and Milton Bwambale Bikopo all residents of Kasese Municipality have served the district authorities with a statutory notice of intention to sue through their lawyers of the MMC and Company advocates based in Kampala.
The duo are challenging the district council for discussing and passing a motion moved by the then Chairman LC 5 Rev. Can. Julius Kithaghenda to split the district into three when he was not a secretary on the executive or a councilor as mandated by Law.
Buhaka while addressing a press conference at his home in Nyamwamba Division said that the rules of procedure of does not provide for the district chairman to move a motion other than giving a state of affairs address.
Through their lawyers, Buhaka and Bikopo want court to declare the October 26, 2010 motion and resolution null and void hence asking the council to revoke the decision.
They also want general damages to the people who are opposed to the split basing on the fact that they were not fully consulted before the motion was passed in the district council.
They also want court to grant them the costs of the suit in case the district fails to defend itself beyond reasonable doubt that the right procedure was taken when taking the decision.
At the district headquarters, the notice of intention to sue was received and signed by the Assistant Chief Administrative Officer Wilson Asaba and Clerk to council Godwin Bihanikire on October 4th and they are yet to respond before a civil suit is registered in High Court.
The proposal to split Kasese district has caused controversy as interest groups that include the Rwenzururu Kingdom, the ethnic minorities and residents opposing the decision of council. END.